LAS VEGAS – The No. 16 The Texas Men’s Golf team fired a 12-under-par 276 on Monday to jump from eighth into second place after the second round of the Southern Highlands Collegiate at Southern Highlands Golf Club. Senior Cole Hammer led the charge for the Longhorns with a 5-under 67 in Monday’s second round, and a trio of Texas players including junior Mason Nome (tie sixth), Hammer (tie eighth) and junior Travis Vick (tie eighth) all enter Tuesday’s final round in the top 10 in the individual standings.
The 15-team field at the Southern Highlands Collegiate includes seven squads that are ranked in the Top 25 of the latest Division I Bushnell Golfweek Coaches poll (Feb. 18).
Well. 1 Oklahoma has registered a 36-hole total of 26-under-par 550 (268-282) and holds a seven-stroke cushion over the Longhorns at 19-under-par 557 (281-276) Entering Tuesday’s final round. Well. 4 Pepperdine, no. 7 Georgia and No. 23 Florida are all tied for third at 16-under-par 560.
UNLV’s Caden Fioroni, Fred Biondi of Florida and Oklahoma’s Patrick Welch are tied for the individual lead at 9-under-par 135.
The Southern Highlands Collegiate concludes with 18 holes on Tuesday, March 1. Texas will be paired with Oklahoma and Florida for Tuesday’s final round, and tee times will begin at 12:40 pm Central (10:40 am Pacific).
- Senior Cole Hammer posted a 5-under 67 on Monday and is tied for eighth in the individual standings with a 36-hole total of 6-under-par 138 (71-67). Hammer had one eagle (par-5 third hole) and three birdies (4, 7 and 9) to record a 5-under 31 on the front nine, before closing with nine pars on the back nine.
- Junior Mason Nome fired a 3-under 69 on Monday and is tied for sixth at 7-under-par 137 (68-69). He posted four birdies (4, 7, 10 and 17) during the second round.
- Junior Travis Vick carded a 3-under 69 on Monday and is tied for eighth at 6-under-par 138 (69-69). They tallied five birdies on the afternoon.
- Senior Parker Coody recorded a 1-under 71 on Monday and is tied for 40th at even-par 144 (73-71). He registered an eagle (par-four 16th hole) and four birdies during his second round.
- Freshman Alejandro Gonzalez, who is competing as an individual at this event, posted a 2-under 70 on Monday and is tied for 52nd at 1-over-par 145 (71-70). He tallied five birdies on the day and fired a 4-under 32 on his front nine (starting from hole 10).
- Junior Will Thomson is in the 84th at 30-over-par 174 (92-82).