HOCKLEY, Texas. – The No. 13/14/15 The Texas Women’s Golf team carded the tournament’s best three-over-par 287 on Saturday to surge into the lead at the Big 12 Championship after two rounds at The Clubs at Houston Oaks. UT has recorded a 10-over-par 578 (291-287) through 36 holes, with 18 holes remaining on Sunday. Four Longhorns are currently among the top-10 individuals, with three in the top-5. Freshman Bohyun Park, who shot a team-best one-under-par 70 on Saturday, leads the Longhorns and is in second place in the individual standings at even-par 142 (72-70). Senior Sara Kouskova and sophomore Bentley Cotton are tied for third at three-over-par 145, while Graduate Brigitte Thibault is tied for 10th at six-over-par 148 (74-74). Texas enters Sunday’s final round seeking its fourth title in the last five Big 12 Championships.
Park birdied her very first hole of the day on the No. 1, par-5 hole and would follow it up with four more birdies on holes 6, 8, 10 and 13. Park’s round of 70 gives her a total of 11 rounds at or better this season, which ties Kouskova as the team leader in that category. Cotton also birdied the opening hole of the day and proceeded to register nine straight pars before recording her first bogey on hole 11. The sophomore finished her round with her second birdie of the day on the final hole, posting an even-par 71 to give her eight rounds at par or better on the season. Kouskova and Thibault each fired a three-over-par 74 on Saturday to help place them in the top-10 individually. Kouskova’s round included an eight hole stretch of bogey-free, two-under-par golf, while Thibault recorded 10-straight pars from holes two through 11.
In addition to the Longhorns (No. 13 in the latest WGCA Coaches Poll, released on April 15, 2022), the nine-team Big 12 Championship field includes: 6 Oklahoma State, No. 15 Baylor, no. 21 Texas Tech, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma and TCU.
Well. 13 Texas holds a nine-stroke advantage over No. 6 Oklahoma who is currently in second place at 19-over-par 587 (295-292). Well. 15 Baylor sits at third 21-over-par 589 (288-301).
Lianna Bailey of Oklahoma State holds the lead in the individual field through two rounds at four-under-par 138 (70-68). Park is four strokes back at even-par 142 (72-70), while a group of three players are tied for third at three-over-par 145, including Kouskova and Cotton.
The Big-12 Conference Championship concludes with 18 holes on Sunday, April 24th. Texas will be paired with No. 6 Oklahoma State and No. 15 Baylor for Sunday’s final round. The third round tee times begin at 8 am CT, while Texas will not begin teeing off until 10 am CT.
- Freshman Bohyun Park shot a one-under-par 70 and is second place at even-par 142 (72-70). Park led the team with five birdies (No. 1, par-4; No. 6, par-4; No. 8, par-5; No. 10, par-4; No. 13, par-3) on the day.
- Senior Sara Kouskova carded a three-over-par 74 and is tied for third at three-over-par 145 (71-74). Kouskova tallied three birdies (No. 1, par-4; No. 8, par-5; No. 11, par-5) during the second round.
- Sophomore Bentley Cotton fired an even-par 71 and is also tied for third at even-par 145 (74-71). Cotton registered two birdies (No. 1, par-4; No. 18, par-4) on Saturday.
- Graduate Brigitte Thibault posted a three-over-par 74 for the second day in a row and is tied for 10th at six-over-par 148 (74-74).
- Junior Sophie Guo bounced after a tough opening round with a one-over-par 72 on day two and is tied for 31st at 12-over-par 154 (82-72). Guo posted two birdies (No. 10, par-4; No. 17, par-4) on the day to help move up 11 spots in the standings.