HILTON HEAD ISLAND, SC – The No. 12 The Texas Women’s Golf team carded a five-over-par 289 on Monday to stand in second place after the opening round of the Darius Rucker Intercollegiate at the Long Cove Club. Freshman Bohyun Park and Graduate Brigitte Thibault are just one stroke back from the leader, Furman’s Anna Morgan. Both Longhorns shot a one-under-par 70 and are tied for second place in the individual standings. Well. 20 Baylor tallied a three-over-par 287 and holds just a two-stroke cushion over Texas.
Sitting at three-over-par through her first six holes, Thibault rallied by going four-under-par through the remaining 12 holes. That stretch included eight straight pars from holes 8-15, followed by three consecutive birdies on the final three holes. Thibault’s 70 was her best round in her first year as a Longhorn. Park also got off to a slow start, bogeying the opening two holes, but quickly responded by going three-under-par (four birdies & one bogey) through the remainder of the opening round. By the end of the first round, the Longhorns had three players finish in the top-20 in the individual standings, including Park, Thibault and Senior Sara Kouskovawhose one-over-par 72 was good enough to put her in tied for 12th place.
In addition to the Longhorns (No. 12 in the most recent WGCA Coaches Poll, released on Feb. 25, 2022), the 17-team Darius Rucker Intercollegiate field includes: 4 Wake Forest, no. 5 host South Carolina, No. 8 Alabama, No. 9 Arkansas, No. 11 Arizona State, no. 17 Auburn, no. 18 LSU, No. 20 Baylor, no. 21 Duke, Furman, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisville, North Carolina, Northwestern and Vanderbilt. Ten of the 17 teams participating are currently ranked among the nation’s top-25.
Furman’s Anna Morgan posted a two-under-par 69 and owns a one-stroke advantage over a group of six players who are tied for second place, including Park and Thibault.
The Darius Rucker Intercollegiate continues with 18 holes each on Tuesday, March 1st and Wednesday, March 2nd. Texas will again be paired with No. 8 Alabama and No. 20 Baylor for Tuesday’s second round. Tee times will begin at 10:20 am CT / 11:20 am ET from hole 10.
• Freshman Bohyun Park shot a one-under-par 70 and is tied for second place in the individual standings. Park registered four birdies (No. 3, par-5; No. 6, par-5; No. 9, par-4; No. 15, par-5) on the day.
• Graduate Brigitte Thibault also registered a one-under-par 70 to put her in a tie for second place. Thibault recorded five birdies (No. 5, par-4; No. 7, par-4; No. 16, par-4; No. 17, par-3; No. 18, par-4) during the opening round. Thibault’s round of one-under-par 70 marks her best round on the season.
• Senior Sara Kouskova tallied a one-over-par 72 and is tied for 12th place in the individual standings. Kouskova closed her round with birdies in two out her last three holes (No. 16, par-4; No. 18, par-4). As at team, the Longhorns shot two-under-par on the 18th hole.
• Sophomore Bentley Cotton carded a six-over-par 77 and is tied for 60th in the individual standings. Cotton recorded one birdie (No. 8, par-3) during the first round.
• Junior Sophie Guo posted a seven-over-par 78 and is tied for 69th in the individual standings.