Mitchell used a sweep of the singles matches to rally for a 7-2 over Watertown in a high school boys tennis dual on Friday at the Highland Park courts.
It was the first outdoor home match of the season for the Arrows (11-5), who won two of the three doubles matches before Mitchell rebounded in singles.
“We came out and played some really good doubles,” said Watertown head Coach Ryan Zink. “We fought hard and had some great matches in singles, but we just didn’t pick up any wins.”
Watertown is off until Tuesday when it competes in the Eastern South Dakota Conference tournament at Huron.
Mitchell 7, Watertown 2
• Singles – Macon Larson, M, def. Mark Mahowald, 6-3, 6-2; Tyler Loecker, M, def. Curtis Sneden, 6-4, 6-0; Aidan Patrick, M, def. Evan Meester, 6-1, 6-1; Jack Vermeulen, M, def. Justin Remmers, 6-0, 7-6 (9-7 tiebreaker); Josh Grosdidier, M, def. Jadon Lindner, 6-4, 6-1; Luke Jerke, M, def. Zandar Binde, 6-4, 4-6, 10-7 tiebreaker.
• Doubles – Larson-Loecker, M, def. Mahowald-Sneden, 6-2, 4-6 10-7 tiebreaker; Meester-Remmers, W, def. Patrick-Drake Jerke, 6-4, 6-3; Lindner-Binde, W, def. Vermeulen-Connor Thelen 4-6, 7-5, 10-8 tiebreaker.
YANKTON – Watertown shot 377 and placed 10th out of 15 teams Friday at the Yankton Girls Golf Invitational at the Fox Run Golf Course.
Harrisburg shot 335 and edged Aberdeen Central by two shots for the title. Reese Jansa led Harrisburg, taking medalist honors with an even-par 72.
“It was really nice to get back to back days in and to have some team bonding with the girls getting to spend multiple days together as well,” said Watertown head Coach Zach Wevik, whose team also played Thursday in the Huron Invitational.
Riley Zebroski tied for 17th with an 88 to lead the Arrows, who compete Friday in the Mitchell Invitational.
“Overall, the scores were still a little high, but when you at the breakdown hole by hole, we had quite a few ‘blow up’ holes,” said Wevik. “If we calean those up and take away the big holes, we could bring down the scores to where we can be in a better position to compete with the upper-level teams.”
• Team Scores – Harrisburg 335, Aberdeen Central 337, Rapid City Stevens 345, Pierre 352, Mitchell 354, Yankton 355, Huron 356, Sioux Falls O’Gorman 360, Brookings 361, Watertown 377, Sioux Falls Lincoln 380, Sioux Falls Washington 407, Sioux Falls Jefferson 408, Sioux Falls Roosevelt 415, Brandon Valley 435.
• Top 10 Individuals – 1. Reese Jansa, Harrisburg, 36-36-72; 2. Tanna Phares, Rapid City Stevens, 40-37-77; 3. Lauren Sutcliffe, O’Gorman, 37-42-79; 4. (Tie) Olivia Braun, Aberdeen Central, 41-39-80 and Mattie Weidenbach, Harrisburg, 37-43-80; 6. (Tie) Emma Dohrer, Aberdeen Central, 40-42-82 and Ella Holmstad, Yankton, 41-41-82. 9. (Tie) Allison Meyerink, Mitchell, 42-42-84; Tatum Hohenthaner, Yankton, 43-41-84; and Ellie Jo Simpson, Pierre, 41-43-84.
• Arrow Golfers – 17. (Tie) Riley Zebroski, 41-47-88; 41. (Tie) Aspen Reynolds, 44-51-95; 47. (Tie) Samantha Anderson, 51-46-97 and Maia VanLaecken, 46-51-97; 76. (Tie) Jordyn Geerdes, Watertown, 53-57–110; 81. Rylie Redlin, 62–50–112.