Baseball | April 21, 2022
THIS WEEK: The USC baseball team hosts a four-game homestand, welcoming Utah for a three-game Pac-12 series starting on Friday and then UC Santa Barbara for a non-conference matchup on Tuesday.
Friday – USC vs. Utah (Dedeaux Field), April 22, 6 pm (Pac-12 Network)
Saturday – USC vs. Utah (Dedeaux Field), April 23, 5 pm (Pac-12 Network)
Sunday – USC vs. Utah (Dedeaux Field), April 24, 12 pm (Pac-12 Network)
Tuesday – USC vs. UC Santa Barbara (Dedeaux Field), April 26, 6 pm (USC Live Stream)
Friday – USC: LHP Isaac Esqueda (1-1, 6.05 ERA) vs. UTAH: RHP Matt Sox (2-2, 5.40 ERA)
Saturday – USC: RHP Tyler Stromsborg (1-3, 4.08 ERA) vs. UTAH: RHP Jaden Harris (1-1, 5.63 ERA)
Sunday – USC: RHP Charlie Hurley (4-1, 2.70 ERA) vs. UTAH: RHP Cam Day (1-3, 7.30 ERA)
BROADCAST INFO: All three games against Utah will be televised live on the Pac-12 Network with Nick Koop on the call. Tuesday’s game will be streamed live on Pac-12 + via USCTrojans.com. Links to all of the broadcasts are available on the baseball schedule page at USCTrojans.com.
FOLLOW: Fans can also follow the action through live stats on USCTrojans.com. Live, in-game updates will be available for all games from @USC_Baseball on Twitter as well.
GET SOCIAL: Follow USC Baseball on social media to get updates on everything going on with the team this season. The Trojans can be found at @USC_Baseball on Twitter, @sctrojans_baseball on Instagram and USC Trojans Baseball on Facebook.
LAST WEEK: The Trojans were swept by Arizona State on the road this past week and dropped their midweek non-conference matchup with Cal State Fullerton after the Titans scored two runs in the ninth. Tyler Lozano hit three home runs against ASU in the opener, becoming the first Trojan since 2010 to do so.
SERIES VS. UTAH: The Trojans lead the all-time series 23-13. USC won 2-of-3 in Utah last season.
SERIES VS. UCSB: The Trojans lead the all-time series 89-49-1. The teams last played in 2019, with UCSB winning both meetings.
- The Trojans’ .974 fielding percentage is 4th in the Pac-12.
- USC’s 43 home runs are 3rd in the Pac-12 and the Trojans’ 1.26 HR / game are 3rd in the conference.
- The Trojans are 2nd in the Pac-12 and 34th in the NCAA with 19 sacrifice flies.
- USC has 11 triples, 3rd most in the Pac-12.
- Trojan pitchers have allowed 3.69 walks / 9, the 3rd best mark in the Pac-12.
- The Trojans have 4 players who have recorded a save this season; Matt Keating (5), Garrett Clarke, Carson Lambert, Nate Clow.
- Adrian Colon-Rosado is 13th in the Pac-12 with a .347 batting average. He has the longest reached streak base of anyone on the team this season, reaching in 30 straight games earlier this year, and also posted a 10-game hitting streak as well.
- Tyresse Turner comes into this weekend riding a 5-game hitting streak. He has 11 hits in his last 5 games, raising his average 34 points to a team-high .352 over that span. Turner is 12th in the Pac-12 in batting average and is the 6th toughest player in the conference to strike out, with 8.3 ab / K.
- Rhylan Thomas is the 3rd toughest batter to strike out in the Pac-12, with 11.3 ab / K this season. He is riding a 5-game hitting streak coming into the weekend and had a 5-hit game against CSUN last Tuesday.
- Charlie Hurley‘s 2.70 ERA is 6th best in the Pac-12 and his 7.33 hits allowed / 9 are also 6th in the conference.
- Tyler Lozano leads the team and is 3rd in the Pac-12 with 10 home runs this season. His 0.33 HR / game is the best average in the conference. Lozano tied a USC record with 3 home runs in the opener against ASU, becoming the first player since Ricky Oropesa in 2010 to accomplish that feat.
- Tyler Stromsborg‘s 9 starts are a team-high and 2nd most in the Pac-12. He has tossed at least 5 innings in all but 2 of his starts so far this season.
- Isaac Esqueda made his first start since Feb. 25 when he tossed 1.2 innings against San Jose State on April 1. Esqueda was out with a minor leg injury.