»Michigan will close its regular season in Bloomington, Ind. at the 2022 Indiana Invitational.
»Last season at the Invitational, Ashley Lau’s Rally to tie for medalist honors helped UM post a fourth place team finish (877).
»Lau has led UM in all four spring events with four straight top-10 finishes.
» Hailey Borja (t-12th) and Lau (t-43rd) are returning from the Augusta National Women’s Amateur.
• Sat-Sun., April 9-10 – at Indiana Invitational (Bloomington, Ind.)
• Social Media: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Next on the Tee: Indiana Invitational
The 18th-ranked University of Michigan Women’s Golf Team makes its way to the Bloomington, Ind., Saturday and Sunday, April 9-10, for the Indiana Invitational, which will mark the Wolverines’ regular season finale. The two-day, 54-hole event will be played at IU’s Pfau Golf Course on campus. Scoring will be six players, count four low scores with the tournament set up for a par of 72 at 6,186 yards.
The Indiana Invitational l Field
The Indiana Invitational features an 11-team field that includes Augusta, Illinois-Chicago, IUPUI, Indiana, No. 18 Michigan, Minnesota, Old Dominion, Purdue, Toledo, LLC and Wisconsin.
The Indiana Invitational l Schedule
Friday, April 8 – Practice Round (18), 11 am (tee times)
Saturday, April 9 – First Round (18), 8:30 am (shotgun)
Saturday, April 9 – Second Round (18), continuous play following completion of the first round
Sunday, April 10 – Final Round (18), 8:30 am (shotgun)
Michigan’s Indiana Invitational Lineup
Michigan will have a six-member starting lineup at the Indiana Invitational. Seniors Ashley Lau, Ashley Kim, Sophia Trombettaand Jacqueline Youngalong with Juniors Hailey Borja and Mikaela Schulz will play as the UM’s starting six.
Last time Indiana Invitational
Michigan posted an event-low 291 in the final round at the 2021 Indiana Invitational to finish fourth in the regular-season finale with an 877 54-hole total. Lau’s closing 68 (-4) helped her to a share of medalist honors with a 212 (-4) – her first career individual win. The event saw UM post its fourth straight top-five team finish.
• Hailey Borja and Ashley Lau were among the 72 participants at the Augusta National Women’s Amateur – one of the world’s top Amateur events. Closing as the top two of six Big Ten Golfers in the field, Borja’s 147 Qualifying total on the Champions Retreat course advanced her to the final round held on the famed Augusta National. Lau tallied a 153 in her two rounds and did not move forward. In the final 18, Borja shot a 74 (+2) on one of the world’s most famous courses to tie for 12th with a 221 total.
• Michigan has three straight top-two team finishes; UM opened tying for the team title at the VyStar Gators Invitational (March 5-6) before picking up runner-up titles at the Tulane Classic (Feb. 13-15) and Briar’s Creek Invitational (March 14-15). With those finishes, UM has two team titles and three runner-up finishes in seven events this season.
• In addition to the team successes, Lau has dominated her spring, adding two more individual titles as well as a runner-up finish in her three events. She tied for medalist honors at the Tulane Classic (221) before winning the VyStar Gators Invitational (203, -7). She then had a runner-up finish at the Briar’s Creek Invitational (212, -4). After all three of those performances earned her Big Ten Golfer of the Week honors.
• With her current team-best scoring average of 71.71, Ashley Lau is on pace to Smash the UM record of 73.09 set by Elodie Van Dievoet during the 2016-17 season. Lau is tied for the team lead with seven sub-par rounds, including a career-low 66 (-6) carded in the final round of the VyStar Gators Invitational. Overall she has six sub-70 tallies.
• With her 73.33 scoring average, Hailey Borja is also on pace to set a new UM single season standard. She is tied with Lau with seven sub-par rounds with a career-low-tying 68 (-4) in the second round of Ruth’s Chris Tar Heel Invitational. Combined, they have 15 of UM’s 23 sub-par round tallies.
• As a team, UM has posted a 291.38 team average with nine sub-par team rounds, including a team-low for par 279 (-9) in the second round of the Landfall Tradition and a team-low tally with a 276 ( -4) in the third round of the VyStar Gators Invitational. UM has 13 sub-290 team tallies. The lowest team average in program history was 295.56 (2015-16).
• Michigan has five Big Ten Golfer of the Week Accolades this season. Mikaela Schulz earned the first after she won the Wolverine Invitational with a 210 (-3) tally back in September. Hailey Borja was given the Honor after her career-best 210 (-6) tied for third at the Ruth’s Chris Tar Heel Invitational (Oct. 15-17). Ashley Lau has three honors after tying for medalist honors at the Tulane Classic (Feb. 13-15), using a final round and career-best 66 (-4) to Rally and win the VyStar Gators Invitational (March 5-6) and using a closing 70 (-2) to earn a runner-up finish at the Briar’s Creek Invitational (March 14-15).
• After posting a career-low 210 (-3) tally at the Wolverine Invitational, Mikaela Schulz earned the second career medalist Honor. Ashley Lau added her second title of her career following her co-medalist Honor at the Tulane Classic. After rallying with a 66 (-4) in the final round of the VyStar Gators Invitational, Lau helped the Wolverines add a third individual trophy this season. The three trophies are the 33rd, 324th and 35th by a Wolverine as well as the sixth, seventh and eighth individual wins under UM Coach Jan Dowling.
• Seven of eight Wolverines have posted an even- or sub-par score. Ashley Lau leads with eight with Hailey Borja right behind with seven sub-par tallies. Mikaela Schulz has four and Monet Chun as two. Lau set a career-low with a 66 (-4) in the third round of the VyStar Gators Invitational. Borja tied her career-low with a 68 (-4) in the second round of the Ruth’s Chris Tar Heel Invitational, while Schulz posted a new career-low after her 67 (-5) in the second round of the Landfall Tradition.
• With the entire starting five finishing in the top 20 individually, UM opened the 2021-22 season winning the Wolverine Invitational with a UM Golf Course Women’s team record 851 (-1) – the first sub-par tally at UM’s home course. The 851 tally was the second-lowest team total in program history and crushed the prior UM Golf Course record by 18 shots – 869 by USC at the 2007 NCAA Central Regional (May 10-12).
Next on the Tee
• Fri-Sun., April 22-24 – at Big Ten Championships (Pittsburgh, PA)