Men’s Golf | April 11, 2022
OLD BROOKVILLE, NY – The La Salle men’s golf team opened the 2022 Shark Invitational on Monday, playing the opening two rounds of the tournament to sit at 588 (+20) for a fifth place spot heading into the Tomorrows final round.
ABOUT THE COURSE
- The Explorers opened the event held at the Brookville Country Club – a par 71 course that sits at 6,605 yards.
- Eight teams and 56 individuals make up the field, 16 different Golfers playing as individuals.
LA SALLE SCORECARD (ROUND 1)
- Karsen Rush and Logan Flores scored the best two rounds for the Explorers after the opening 18 holes, each posting a 72 (+1) in the first round. Flores opened his round with five-straight pars before stumbling with back-to-back bogeys at 15 and 16, recovering to close out the back nine at just two-over. The redshirt-freshman fired two straight birdies after making the turn, the only other blemish on his card coming at the fourth to shoot a 34 on the front nine.
- Rush made his double bogey putt to start his round, quickly recovering for a birdie on the par 4 12th. The birdie started a span of 11 straight holes with a par or birdie to get back to even. After a pair of bogeys towards the end of the round, Rush finished par-par-birdie in the final three holes to sit in a tie for eighth with Flores after one round.
- Three double-bogeys on his opening nine forced Nikita Romanov to grind throughout the opening round, responding brilliantly after making the turn. The junior rattled off five birdies on the round, three coming in the front nine after making the turn for the lowest nine holes of the round on the roster to get back to a 74 (+3).
- Parker Wine also had some stumbles after his first nine holes, sitting at four over as he made the turn. Wine opened with a birdie on the par 5 1st hole before he collected his second birdie in three holes with a two on the par 3 3rd. The final bogey in his final six holes of the round put him at a 74 (+3).
- Matt Werner made a brilliant start to go two under through four holes, but hit a snag after bogeying five straight to close out his back nine. Werner responded on the front with a birdie at one, grabbing par on six of the final eight holes to sit at his 76 (+5) heading into his second round.
LA SALLE SCORECARD (ROUND 2)
- Rush strung 10 straight pars to open his second round on his way to another strong showing at the Shark Invitational, finishing two over on the front nine to head into the clubhouse at 144 (+2) on the tournament, within striking distance of a top 10 finish.
- Romanov also handed in an impressive second round, finishing one-over-par in his second 18 of the day to sit one shot outside of the top 10 at 146 (+4).
- Werner kept his score in the second round, securing a near clean front nine with a 36 to finish at 76 (+5) and 152 (+10) on the tournament.
- Flores carded a 76 (+5) in the second round, sitting in a tie for 23rd after dropping 15 spots in the second round at 148 (+6).
- Wine sits at 153 (+11) after two rounds after shooting a 79 on the final round of the day.
- Connor Byrne of Hartford sits on the top of the Leaderboard after two rounds with a score of 138 (-4).
- Long Island University sits on the team lead after Monday in their host tournament, going -4 as a team to hold a two stroke lead over the field.
- The Explorers conclude the Shark Invitational on Tuesday.